The MirageOS Documentation
and developer guides
Weekly Meeting: 2016-02-03
By Amir Chaudhry
- Quality and Test
- Functoria status
- Outreachy status
- MirageOS Hackathon status
Amir (chair), Anil, Thomas Leonard, Dave Scott, Thomas G, Mort,
Dan Williams, Daniel, Chris, matt-g, Hannes, pablo polvorin, Jeremy
Quality and Test
- Merged a huge test from Jane street.
- Now have a camlp4-free version and can compile very fast.
- Now need to do a bunch of point releases related to the change.
- Just need to rename some of the dependencies — will remove the constraints
- Overall effect is we can depend on PPX only. Does anyone need to support
- Should focus on 4.02 and trunk. Only the Xen people might care.
- Docker containers work and they're all published. Thanks to DBunzli for
- Should be able to test all distros from a PR.
- 4.01 is in Debian. Stick with it for that?
- Since we have docker containers and opam switch, we should probably leave
4.01 behind now. Hard to maintain both camlpp4 and ppx.
- Maybe keep the libs supporting 4.01 where possible but not be tied to it.
- DanW: The Docs should be updated to match. Anil: we have codoc that we used
but need to finish this. Thanks for reminder.
- Not much to say since last time. On the brink of the release.
- Should coordinate with press release?
- Code review status? Yallop looking over it but otherwise happy.
- Anil noticed one issue when trying to look at dependency chain for the xen
packages. Will file an issue.
- Some question since Solo5 is a different backend. Should we adjust the
config now to be able to work with this and other backends? We should have a
blocker to mirage 3.0?
- In terms of functoria tutorials. There's the blog post but not much more.
Mort is going to try out Solo5 stuff this weekend.
- Rumprun and MirageOS and Functoria? Cross-compilation is still a 'thing'.
Adam Wick is trying things with HaLVM and Rump kernels so we can follow in his
footsteps once things are clearer.
- Kia is on east coast US. Sent an email to list yesterday about the code and
a blog post. Another 4 weeks to go. All is in hand.
- Difficult to join calls due to timezone.
- We have over 30 people signed up — but we have 27 beds :)
- Can people participate remotely? Anil will bring video conf stuff
- If we have crucible projects that would be useful. Half the people are new
to MirageOS. Particularly end-to-end app problems would be good.
- Hannes has set up a mailing list for participants. Will kick this off so
people can chat. Will also bring labels to the meeting.
- Hannes' plan was to write to the mailing list and make a wiki page to enable
collaboration amongst people.
- Hope someone else will organise another one in three months!
Mailing list and devel.unikernel.org: Should we use the latter more? Move
all the old MirageOS threads in there? There may be utility to share things
between unikernel projects. Would need to plan for a cut over date. DBunzli
likes mailing list for discussion quality. Should set up a test to ingest
SCALE conference: Snow storm cancelled Anil's flight. Amir and Mort made it.
Videos are online.
Cross compilation discussion with rump/solo5 etc. Next step for DanW is to
get familiar with build system stuff (and Functoria). Ask Gabriel Radanne re
the call. Can have a wiki to put info into as people discover things.
DBunzli: the first things we need is support in opam, which allows us to do it
in a clean fashion. People have been working on this.
The next call is scheduled for 17th February. Please add any
agenda items you wish to discuss in advance and refer to the
mailing list for actual details a day or so in advance.